I’m super duper excited to have Laur answering her questions today! Can I tell you that she has been one of my best friends for about 20 years now and I absolutely adore her? She’s not only part of #julyoga and a super talented, kind and funny person, but is a lawyer, yoga instructor, presided over our Picnic with a Judge and has been part of many a hi-jinx through the years. You can check out her Instagram for her crazy difficult poses and if you’re in DC you can take a class from her!
- What drew you to yoga? I was a dancer as a kid and an athlete in high school and college. At first yoga helped me to stay limber but soon I realized it helped to quiet my mind and made me all around a happier person.
- How long have you been doing yoga? I have been practicing yoga for as long as I can remember…it became a regular part of my life in college.
- How often do you practice outside of #julyoga? I try to practice yoga every day…even if it’s just 5 min.
- Do you like yoga or tolerate it? Why? I don’t just like yoga, I LOVE it. I can be having the worst day ever but somehow getting on my yoga mat or teaching a class can turn it all around. The hard part is to not just practice the postures that I love but also the ones that are challenge to me. In that sense, I actually need to learn to tolerate yoga a bit more!!!
- Did anything about yoga surprise you? If so, what? I can’t believe how popular it has become. When I took yoga teacher training, in 2005, I was 25 years old and the youngest student in my training by at least 5 years. Now, there are so many teachers who are younger than me. It’s inspiring!
- What brought you to #julyoga? My dear friend Courtney Ryan!
- What do you hope to get out of #julyoga? I am trying to more consistently practice the postures that are hard for me (the hip openers). I also hope to talk some people who might be yoga skeptics into giving it a try.
- Do you have a favorite type of yoga? If so what? Anything that helps me to get out of my head!!! In that sense, I strongly believe that running, weightlifting, dancing, swimming, hiking…or just closing your eyes and breathing is yoga. If we are going a little more traditional, I would say that I enjoy a good vinyasa (flow) class. I like variety!
- What’s your favorite yoga pose or action? Why? Right now it is Firefly pose. I am a huge fan of the short-lived Fox TV series Firefly. At the end of the movie, there is a scene where the captain of the firefly-class ship, called Serenity says:
Mal: It ain’t all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I’m about to say.
River: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
Mal: Love. You can learn all the math in the ‘verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don’t love, she’ll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she’s hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.
That scene sums up practicing arm balances and inversions for me. Thinking my way through those postures never does the trick…actually logic and muscle usually ends in face plants!
- What would you like others to know about yoga? Everyone can practice yoga in one form or another. You don’t have to chant or learn sanskrit, stand on your hands, or make a pretzel out of your body. You might want to but you don’t have to…You just have to be able to breath and bring your awareness out of the past and future to what is going on right in front of you.There are lots of free resources out there too. Check out Tara Brach for free online meditations or YouTube and Yoga Journal’s website for free videos. A consistent practice, even a short one, can make a huge difference in your quality of life…it can keep you happy, help to ensure that you can tie your shoes when you turn 80…you name it.
Thank you so much for answering those questions! I’m sure I’ll have more for you soon. What can I say? It’s good having direct access to such a fantastic and talented person. If you have questions for Laur, leave them below or let me know and I’ll make sure she sees them