I feel like “Chili Pie” should be said as one word with just a Matthew McConaughey hint of a southern accent. I wouldn’t even know how to begin to write that phonetically, but you can do your best to hear the shirtless wonder say it in your head.
So Chili Pie. If you’re not sure what it is, think of that delicious chili that you made a pot of and there’s some left in the freezer because who can eat a whole pot of chili before you need to take a break? Got it? Good. Now, you’re going to pour that over a base of some sort of starch (like smashed potatoes) and then cover that with cheese.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4-6 cups of left over chili
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 2 cups of shredded cheese (I used a “Fiesta” blend)
- sour cream, salsa, jalapenos, olives, chopped onions, tomatoes and other toppings of choice
- corn chips/tortillas if you’d like
- other spices such as garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes if you wish
Here’s what you do:
- Thaw chili if it’s been frozen.
- Cut potatoes, put in microwave safe dish with an inch or so of water and some (a few shakes) garlic powder and microwave until you can smash them. Mine took about 10 minutes.
- Smash potatoes and smoosh potatoes into bottom of 9×13 baking dish. Shake some cumin over it. Don’t go crazy.
- Pour and spread chili over potatoes. If you want to add jalapenos, go for it. Olives, whatever you’d like. I think I used half a chopped onion that I had. Make it all even.
- Cover with cheese and bake until melty/lightly browned. It was about 20 min or so.
- Remove, allow to cool a bit and enjoy. (I put some salsa and sour cream on mine.)
If you have left over mashed potatoes, go right ahead and use them. This is a great dish to use up those left overs and you can adjust it to what you have on hand or how many people you need to feed.
What would you put on yours for a topping?