Here’s what you need:
- lean steak (left over is fine, I trimmed some flat iron steaks we had in the fridge)
- 3 TBSP butter (or olive oil)
- 2 (heaping/rounded) TBSP Minced garlic (chop your own or buy a jar)
- 3 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (this brings some heat, adjust accordingly)
- 1-2 tsp ginger (to taste)
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- vegetable broth to cook it in. (For my rice, it took 1 3/4 cup)
- 3 cups of mixed vegetables
Here’s what you do:
- In saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil and cook rice according to package.
- Trim steak and cut steak into about 1 inch pieces (or smaller if you prefer, mine were between 1/2-1 inch)
- In a large pan, melt butter on medium and add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir around.
- Add steak, Worcestershire and soy sauces, and ginger. Continue to cook on medium, roughly 6-8 minutes. Cut into a piece and see if it’s done to your liking.
- Cook vegetables (I put these in the microwave while the steak and rice cook.)
- When steak and rice are done, add rice to frying pan and mix in. There should be a butter sauce in the bottom. Trust me, you want this!
- Cook on low until sauce is mostly absorbed. Stirring. Stirring.
- Add mixed vegetables. Mix all together, now!
- Let stand for 5-10 min and enjoy.
I want you to know that I generally just make this, no measuring needed. For you though? I measured this time. I’ve also made this with shrimp, tofu, and chicken. Be warned that a little bit of red pepper flakes go a long way!
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Requests?