Today is Wednesday, right? My days are all messed up. Let me tell you, I was really annoyed that Criminal Minds wasn’t on last night and it dawns on me that it shouldn’t have been because it wasn’t Wednesday. We’ll just chalk that up to the blond hair, hmmkay?
Google tells me it’s Wednesday though and Google is rarely wrong so how bout a yummy treat? Right then!
The other night I posted this:
I have to tell you that asparagus is one of my favorite foods. It was a staple in Mehmere’s garden, fun to watch grow and then pick. It’s easy to cook, tastes great and super healthy. Also it’s one that Frank seems to not mind eating!
Here’s what you need:
- Asparagus (fresh!) about a pound
- Half a head of garlic pealed (8-10 cloves)
- kosher salt (or whatever you have)
- freshly ground pepper (or whatever you have)
- olive oil, I used a spray one
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 375*F (Really, I just preheated it to whatever the temperature was for the other stuff I was making.)
- Wash, dry and trim bottoms ends off of asparagus. If the stems are tough, use a peeler and scrape them.
- Peal, smash and coarsely chop the garlic. (Hint: If you smash the clove with the peel still on, the peel comes off more easily.)
- Line a cookie sheet with foil, you want it to hang over the edges because you’re going to make a pouch.
- Spray (or drizzle) foil with olive oil and spread out asparagus. Top with smashed garlic, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spray (or drizzle) asparagus and garlic with olive oil.
- Give tray a little shake to settle everything. Cover with foil and close the sides. Poke holes in your foil pouch.
- Put in oven and bake for about 15 min. Take top piece of foil off and bake for another 5 or so to crisp it up a little.
- Let cool a little bit and enjoy. Be careful, the roasted garlic is amazing!
This is one of those things you could also do on the grill if you think it’s too hot to turn on your oven. You might want to use two layers of foil on the bottom and then make your pouch.
How easy was that?
Questions? Comments? Suggestions?