If you ask me, my vote is like my cervix

I have to laugh because I called yesterday “Wordless Wednesday” and no one said anything. WTF guys?

So. I live in NY. I think that’s pretty clear if you’ve been around and if you’re new here (Hi!) now you know. Yesterday when in the polling booth I wanted to take a photo of my completed ballot as proof for Frank’s grandma that I voted “the right way” and because it was a cool shot.

Apparently, what I wanted to do was illegal and I would be guilty of a misdemeanor. Who knew? Apparently Gizmodo did with their post, Is It Illegal to Instagram Your Vote?“! (If you’d like to read the law yourself, it’s here. NY Election Law § 17-130) (10))

Now, technically, I wouldn’t have Instagramed it. One, I don’t Instagram and two, I wouldn’t want the general masses to see it. I did however  wish to send it to Frank’s grandma though. She’d get a kick out of it.

Here’s my problem with this particular section of the law: It’s MY vote. If I want to take a picture of my vote, why shouldn’t I be able to? I’m not asking anyone else to do so, I just wanted it for me and a few like minded people.

In a way, my vote is like my cervix. Stick with me here…

I ran into something similar at the lady bits doctor (Dr. UnreasonbleButHot) a few years back when I had to have my cervix looked at for whatever reason. There it was, on the screen and it dawned on me that it was a cool thing to snap a picture of for fun.  I reached into the pocket of my hoodie for my phone and Dr. UnreasonbleButHot asked me what I was doing. I told him, he said, “No.”

He wouldn’t let me take a photo of MY cervix on the screen. Then he wanted to know what I was going to do with it and I told him, “Blow it up poster sized and give it to a friend for over his mantle.” (Trust me, the friend would have LOVED it.) He said that it wasn’t allowable, still wouldn’t budge, and I was left grumpy about the whole thing. C’mon! How often do you get the change to photograph your cervix for crying out loud!

My point is this: My vote and cervix are mine and I should be able to do what I want with them and that includes take a photo of it for posterity or to share.

Advertisements

About Court

I spend a lot of time on the pool deck and making treats in my kitchen amongst other things.
This entry was posted in Me, What the what? and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to If you ask me, my vote is like my cervix

1. BatGirl says:

Spectacular, lol!

2. Sue says:

Love! I thought you were going to say that your vote is like your cervix because people should keep their opinions on both to themselves . Or that your vote is like your cervix because, after last night’s results, both are winners. But I love the direction you went.

I didn’t say anything about the WTF post because, Election Day or not, I was convinced yesterday was Wednesday. Which explains why I woke up convinced today was Thursday. Then I counted the posts I have scheduled for the rest of the week, and realized that life has been playing a cruel, cruel joke on me.

3. Voice of Reason (ALB Edition) says:

*lol* I didn’t say anything because I didn’t catch it until you pointed it out.

This week needs to be over.

4. Emmy's Mama says:

Love. I was WONDERING where you were going to go with this idea… I wonder if it was legal for the doctor to deny you your cervix photo op? The world is a confusing place, that’s fer sure.

• Hehe. Did I make you nervous? I mentioned it to the NP I generally see and she scoffed, literally scoffed that he wouldn’t let me. Also, she said if it’s ever her and it’s on the screen, she’ll take it for me.

On the Go! Can you catch me?

5. Ya know what, I agree with you 100%!

6. "He Said His Telephone Number Was 911" says:

WTH?? What’s mine is mine, and what’s yours is the instrument that projected the image, and that’s all.

7. kathy says:

Man I wish I saw this earlier today. I had some dreadful cervix work done today and would’ve been curious to see if I could’ve taken a pic!

Have something to add?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s