For Frank’s Birthday he asked for Rice Krispy Treats instead of cupcakes. I don’t really understand either, but it was his birthday so whatever! I made a standard batch of them and then made some Smores Treats too. I figured that I liked them a whole bunch and I could always send some home with Sue and D’Lovely if Frank wasn’t impressed.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 6 cups of Golden Grahams or the knock off kind if you prefer
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows 10 oz bag. I think there are 6 cups in it give or take?
- 4 TBSP butter
- 1/4 TSP Salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips
- Non-stick spray (butter flavor or canola oil is better than the olive oil one if you were wondering)
- 9×13 baking pan or disposable foil pan (I like this option)
Here’s what you do:
- Melt butter in a big pot over medium heat.
- Pour mini marshmallows in and lower heat. Melt marshmallows til completely liquified. Lower temps and slower melting is better than hot melting and risk burning them. If they burn, this will taste awful. Stir while they melt.
- While the marshmallows melt, spray the pan with your non-stick spray.
- When marshmallows are liquid, turn off the heat. Mix cereal in to melted marshmallows. I like to do this in three batches so it’s not as hard to stir.
- Mix mini chips into the gooey mix. Don’t stir too much, they’ll melt.
- Dump gooey mix into your pan.
- Wash hands and spray with non-stick spray
- Press gooey mix into the pan, carefully, it’ll be somewhere between warm and hot!
- Let cool, cut, enjoy!
***Golden Grahams did not compensate me for this post.