Of course, right!
I couldn’t tell you what I was doing or where I was when I decided that Sausage Pesto Pizza was going to be a great idea, but I did and it was.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pizza crust of your choice
- 2 oz. Pesto
- 8 oz Ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup Italian Blend shredded cheese
- 3 or 4 Sweet Italian chicken sausage links
- small onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven as specified on pizza crust’s instructions. Preheat stone with oven, it makes the bottom better. (Thanks TimP!)
- Put pizza crust on a cookie tray so you can build the pizza on there and then slide off onto the hot stone. (I use one like this that’s all beat up
- Slice small onion and smash and mince garlic. I suppose you could use a garlic press for it, but I find chopping garlic therapeutic.
- Spray pan with non stick spray and cook chicken sausage. I used one of my frying pans and cooked the whole package. When done, put to the side and allow to cool for a bit.
- Don’t wash/wipe out the pan. Toss garlic and onion in the pan and cook until onions are translucent and start to brown.
- Mix ricotta and pesto. Toss in some Parmesan if you have it handy. I didn’t, so I didn’t.
- You’ll want to do this next part on a cookie sheet that you can slide the crust off and onto your pizza stone. Spread cheese/pesto mix over the pizza shell, keeping it about a half inch from the edge of the crust.
- Slice sausage. I tried to get them into about 1/4th inch slices, but some of them were thicker.
- Evenly spread onions and garlic over the ricotta
- Arrange sliced sausage to your liking. I prefer an even spread, but who knows? You might want a peace sign or a happy face. Who am I to judge?
- Sprinkle cheese on top of sausage and onions. (I know this is not how most do it, but it keeps the toppings where they should be!)
- Bake according to crust’s instructions.
- Remove from oven and slide back on to beat up cookie sheet to cool a little before cutting.